Selling something? YOU MUST POST PHOTOS!!!
- This is an absolute must. It is 2013 and there is no excuse why you cannot attach a photo. Digital cameras are cheap. Go buy one and learn to use it. Can't afford one? Borrow one. Use your phone. You need to have a photo. I am not going to even look at your item if there is no picture to go along with it. Here are some things to remember with the photos:
- MAKE SURE IT'S A GOOD PHOTO!!! This should be a no-brainer, but apparently it isn't. Your photos should not be blurry or rotated so that it is sideways or upside down.
- CLEAN UP FIRST!!! I am not going to buy anything that is covered in laundry, dust, pizza delivery boxes, dirty dishes, stacks of mail or garbage. I want to see what you're selling - not that you're a slob. This one is especially true if you are taking photos of an apartment/house or looking for a roommate to share your living space with. Here are a few examples of people who want roommates:
|I thought this was a promo for Hoarders.|
|Was all that crap on the floor before the photo?|
|WTH? Are you renting out a room or an elbow?|
- Craigslist is AWESOME for advertising and is a great tool. Use it WISELY. As a musician and photographer, I browse all over Craigslist and I am embarrassed for so many of you. DO NOT POST EVERYDAY!!! I have seen some bands and musicians posting in the "Musician" section on a daily basis - sometimes multiple times in a day and in MANY cities. I've seen an artist make Craigslist appearances in Boston, Nashville, Chicago, Atlanta, Seattle, and Phoenix all in one day. Really? You could fine tune some of your skills, learn a new song, or maybe make some personal appearance at local venues instead of flooding Craigslist begging for gigs. You look desperate and are actually quite annoying. And YES, I will flag you.
The DOs & DON'Ts of Craigslist
- Respond to everyone that responds to your post
- Delete the post as soon as the item has sold, the apartment is rented, the position is filled, etc.
- Be respectful. Don't start any shit with other posters. That's trashy - but entertaining, so I guess if you want to give me something to read - go for it!
- Watch your pricing. If the stuffing is falling out of the couch and there are piss stains, it's not worth $100.
- Use symbols in the subject line to make your ad stand out.
!!!!@@##****It's annoying and I'll ignore it****##@@!!!!
- Post "I NEED A JOB" in the job section. Instead, go to the SERVICES section and offer yourself up. People looking in the job section are looking for jobs and are typically not looking in there to hire lazy asses who take this route instead of applying for jobs, writing resumes, and drafting cover letters like everybody else.
- Mistake "old junk" for "antiques"
- Use the Craigslist Personals. This is probably where the rapes and murders are coming from. Save yourself an STD and try a more reputable dating site.