Monday, February 14, 2011

Sleep Deprivation

In my dreams last night, I showed up to my first day of class.  As in, first day of GRAD SCHOOL.  I just went for a tour, but classes were starting and the office people gave me my schedule and told me to get moving.  My first class was a Microbiology class.  I've never taken Micro, nor do I have any desire to take Micro, so when I realized this was my new field, I panicked. 

At 3:33 A.M. I woke up in a cold sweat trying to remember if I had even taken the GRE, yet.  Instead of falling back to sleep like a normal human being, I stared at the ceiling reminding myself that I am not ready to dive into grad school.  Then, I wondered if maybe that dream was supposed to convince me that I AM ready for grad school?!  It was after 4:00 when I had to tell myself that even thinking about this is ridiculous.  I have to get through this semester before I can do ANYTHING.  At that point, I decided it was time to go to sleep.  But, that didn't quite happen. 

Instead of thinking about grad school, I started thinking about relocating away from La Crosse.  For some reason, this thought makes me happier than a fly on a shit pile.  It's a thought that I've invested a lot of time into between writing papers, reading chapters, and watching freshmen make out in the hallways.  (GET A ROOM, YOU MORONS!  Happy Valentine's Day, by the way.)

So, that is how I spent the first few hours of my morning.  Thinking.  About my future.  It's thrilling to think about at this point.  I have four cities in mind and it may come down to a coin toss.  I have been scoping out the job markets, the cost of living, apartments, and YES... I have even scoped out colleges for when I'm ready to pursue my Master's.  (Just, not this fall!)

And then, by 8:00 AM it was right back to the reality of senioritis.  The endless pile of work to do, but I am actually starting to enjoy because it FINALLY pertains to what interests me!  Research topics are narrowed down and will be decided on within a week.  It's in the 40s today and I'm only wearing two layers, instead of 3 or 4.  I tried a new laundry detergent and I haven't broken out in an allergic rash of itchiness, yet.

All in all, I'd say it's been a pretty good day so far.

No comments:

Post a Comment