Monday, January 7, 2013

Dragging in the New Year

New Year's Day I woke up with a bit of a sore throat.  I talked to my sister on the phone that morning for a little while.  After I hung up, I stood up to get on with the day and felt like a semi, driven by a large, bearded dude in flannel and a baseball cap, slammed right into me.  Six days later, I finally peeled myself into an upright position and took my uninsured ass into Urgent Care.  Found out my flu shot wasn't worth a damn this year because this particular virus was one that wasn't part of the vaccination package.  At most, this could take up to two weeks to kick completely.  The average is 10 days and we all know how I feel about average - I define it!  Today is the first day that I haven't had any thoughts of death and the first day that I've had more than just fluids since this hit, so I think it's safe to say 2013 could still be a good year.

Actually, 2013 is going to be a fantastic year.  After seventeen (long) months of sending out resumes, cover letters, and filling out countless applications (over 200), I finally landed a career in my field.  On January 21st, I will begin working in an inpatient behavioral health unit and couldn't be more excited.  It's going to be difficult to adjust to having a steady, reliable income again.  I think I'll manage, though.

With this new path I'm taking, I am considering making this my last semester of classes for a while.  I miss music and the photography gig got a little tiring.  I'm now in a position to do exactly what I want with photography - children and newborns - and not take anything I can get just for the money.  I'm ready to write - a LOT.  I have memoirs in progress, a collection of poetry, and stories that I might now actually find the time (and money) to finish and publish.  I'd have time to FINALLY put out a new CD.  (It's been almost 5 years!)  Not to mention, it would also be incredible to pay down some of my undergraduate loans before I consider taking on a master's program.  I see big things happening in 2013.

In the meantime, I'm going to take a fly swatter to this bug that has kicked my ass, preview the courses I'll begin next week, and think of a new direction for this blog.  I have ideas.  Trust me, I HAVE ideas.


No comments:

Post a Comment